|Synonyms||2-Furaldehyde, 5-(hydroxymethyl)-; 2-Furancarboxaldehyde-5-(hydroxymethyl)-; 2-Hydroxymethyl-5-furfural; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)furfural; 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-formylfuran; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furaldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furancarbonal; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furancarboxaldehyde; 5-(Hydroxymethyl)-2-furfural; 5-Hydroxymethylfuraldehyde; 5-(hydroxymethyl)furan-2-carbaldehyde; 5-Oxymethylfurfurole; Hydroxymethylfurfural; Hydroxymethylfurfuralaldehyde|
5-HMF | 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural | CAS 67-47-0 is derived from sugars and the link between biomass and furan-based chemicals. With its functional groups and reaction sites, 5-HMF is a versatile, renewable building block.
Intermediates – 5-HMF can be converted into interesting downstream products:
- 2,5-Furandicarboxylic acid, which has been proposed as a replacement for Terephthalic acid in the production of polyesters
- 2,5-Dimethylfuran a liquid that is a potential biofuel with greater energy content than bioethanol
- gamma-Hydroxyvaleric acid and gamma-Valerolactone by catalyzed hydrolysis
- 5-Methyl furfural
- Dimethyl furan-2,5-dicarboxylate
- Bio-based 5-HMF is considered to be an interesting substitute for Formaldehyde in PF resins.
Food, Feed & Beverages
- 5-HMF is a promising substance for a range of innovative functional food and feed applications.
Pharma & Healthcare
- As an active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) the bio-based molecule has the potential for novel applications in the pharmaceutical industry.
- 5-Hydroxymethyl-2-furancarboxylic acid can be used as a building block in the enzymatic synthesis of macrocyclic oligoesters.
- 5-HMF is an intermediate in the titration of hexoses in the Molisch's test.
- A major metabolite in humans is 5-hydroxymethyl-2-furoic acid (HMFA), which is excreted in urine.
- 5-HMF binds intracellular sickle hemoglobin (HbS). Preliminary in vivo studies using transgenic sickle mice showed that orally administered 5-HMF inhibits the formation of sickled cells in the blood. Under the development code Aes-103, HMF has been considered for the treatment of sickle cell disease.
Packaging & Shelf Life
Packaging upon your request
1-year shelf life at ambient temperature
Health & Safety
Detailed information on the product described can be found in our relevant Health and Safety Information (Material Safety Data Sheet).