|Synonyms||INCI: Benzyl Alcohol|
Benzyl alcohol is a colourless liquid with a mild pleasant aromatic odour. It is a useful solvent due to its polarity, low toxicity, and low volatility. Benzyl alcohol has moderate solubility in water (4 g/100 mL) and is miscible in alcohols and diethyl ether. It is compatible in all types of formulations: anionic, non-ionic and cationic. Recommended concentration is 0,1 – 0,6%. Use of Benzyl alcohol is limited to 1% in the EU when used as a preservative, 0.001% and 0.01% when used as a fragrance in leave-on and rinse-off.
Benzyl alcohol can be added at room or elevated temperature and at any time during the manufacturing process. It is used as bacteriostatic preservative and in combination with other preservatives or boosters to extend preservations.
- Can be used in ECOCERT/COSMOS formulations
- Easy to handle
- Good efficacy against moulds and bacteria
- Safe and effective in formulations up to pH 6.5
- approved for use in leave-on and rinse-off products
- Emulsions: creams, lotions, baby care, etc
- Hair care products: shampoos, conditioners, etc.
- Anti-age formulations
- Wet wipes
- Oral care: mouthwash, toothpaste
- Deodorants and antiperspirant
- Fragrances & Aromas
- ECOCERT/COSMOS: allowed
- NATRUE: allowed
Packaging & Shelf Life
IBC 1000 kg net
Under proper storage conditions the shelf life is 12 months
Health & Safety
Detailed information on the product described can be found in our relevant Health and Safety Information (Material Safety Data Sheet).